Dating in college can be much different than it was in back in high school. People are blooming all around you. People are discovering themselves, experimenting and playing the field. You don’t want to hit the college dating scene with the high school mind set. You don’t want to be ignorant to the ways of college. This means you don’t assume about any situation you’re in. This further means that you need to be up front sometimes to get the point. Here are some hard truths about dating in college.
- Dating Exclusively Isn’t For Everyone – If you don’t get this through your mind, you may end up jaded and bitter. It happens. That’s why it’s important to be upfront and know where someone stands. College itself is a big commitment and many won’t want to add another commitment on top of that one.
- You Have to Manage Time – In high school things are structured. Everyone gets out of class at the same time and everyone shares a common free time. It’s easy. In college everyone is bouncing around on a different schedule. You’ll have to set apart some time for your significant other college.
- Long Distance – Keep in mind that some relationships can end up going long distance. You might delve and put all your heart into something that will come to an end. Then what? It’s important that plans are made and futures are discussed. You don’t want a sad reality to dawn on you after years of cuddling.
- Dating on The Same Floor – It’s smart to never date on your same floor. Nine times out of ten this will end very awkwardly. Thing about all the dirty looks and awkward stares you’ll have to take when you walk down the hall. Worse, what if this person ends up being a complete psycho? You don’t need to be dealing with stalkers and such.
- Expect Low End Dates – Money is an issue for most in college. Don’t expect to be taken on some crazy date like you see in the movies. Everyone is poor in college.